www.eastendnutrition.com
#eastendnutritn

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Juice detox day 1 onto 2


I made it through the 1st day of my 3-day detox.

Here’s a few notes for those who may want to try this:

1. Some of the recipes make quite a bit of juice, maybe even enough for 2.  However, I am reluctant to change the recipes because I believe that my new masticating juicer is much better at extracting juice then the centrifugal one (read the juicer post for more info).  I suggest following the recipes the first day and see how you do with your juicer.  You can always jar leftover juice for day-2.

2. I did add/alter a couple of the Recipes:

Morning "Orange"

         Morning “Orange” – I reduced the ginger a bit, the piece of ginger that I purchased was quite fresh and gave a very spicy flavor.  For day-2 I am going to include the Aloe Vera shot into this juice.  It wasn’t offensive in the water but I like to sip plain water.

Mean Green

         Mean Green – this juice is HARDCORE.  I have leftover from day-1 for today; I will most likely reduce the kale to 3 stalks tomorrow.  I added the spriulina to this today.

Purple Power

         Purple Power – I added fresh dill to this juice which I think really freshened it.  I tend to like beets and beet juice, so this was a good one.  I skipped adding the pear: the beet and carrot adds plenty of sweetness.  I had some radishes in the fridge so I added 4 of those.

         Almond Date Banana – I added 1 tablespoon of chia seeds to this drink, reduced the almond milk to 1 cup, and added 1 cup of coconut water.  This was pretty delicious.  While I was a little skeptical about the chia seeds they developed a tapioca-like texture that was not at all unappealing.  I later found a recipe for chia-seed pudding, I will try this next week and post.  I think this juice is paced at a perfect time of the day when you are looking for something sweet.

         Tomato Gazpacho – I loved this juice!  I even put it in a bowl and ate it like a cold soup.  I will be using this one frequently in the following weeks.

         Pineapple-Kiwi – Another delicious juice.  I ended up adding an apple at the end to clear the auger.  The harder products help to clear out the juicer from the pulpy/soft fruits.

*** Please see the original Juicer Recipes post for more about ingredients. ***

3. But what about all the pulp?  Well, I save mine and make stock with it.  If a juice recipe contains both fruits and vegetables, then juice your vegetables 1st so you can start a freezer bag with the pulp from the vegetables.  In a future post I will give you some ideas for the stock.

4. At the end of day one I felt the need to chew so I did have some celery and carrot sticks.

So far I didn’t felt deprived at all, and haven’t had any major withdrawal symptoms…. but I am not a huge coffee drinker (only a cup ~ maybe 2 per day).  If you are going to try a detox you may want to wean down on your caffeine for a few days so you do not experience this withdrawal.

Find me on Facebook: Lara McNeil on Nutrition and Food
          

No comments:

Post a Comment