www.eastendnutrition.com
#eastendnutritn

Saturday, January 12, 2013

TVP – textured vegetable protein


Several months ago we “detoxed” in my office.  For 1 week we drank fresh juices, avoided foods that are known to cause food sensitivities, and were generally vegan for the week.  This was a great weight loss kick-off plan for my Dad who has since lost 48 pounds!

During this diet I picked up a bag of Bob’s Red Mill TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) to use as a meat substitute once I reincorporated soy products.  I never touched it.  I guess it didn’t really look that appealing. 

I was wrong.

What a great product.  Even for those of us who eat meat, TVP is a good way to supplement protein without ANY fat.  I made the taco salad that is shown below with my first TVP experience, but I can easily see this product being incorporated with lean ground meat for Sloppy Joes, Chili, Meat sauce, Lettuce wraps, etc.  I think that your kids won’t even know it’s mixed in.  AND TVP is affordable.



Bob’s website sells a 10oz bag for $2.79.  TVP doubles in size when you rehydrate it, so I approximate that one bag is equivalent to almost 3 pounds of ground meat (that's less than $1 for a pound of meat equivalent).  Plus: each serving has 12g of protein and 4g of Dietary fiber….. and, again, NO fat.

Generally I would use 1 cup of TVP to equal 1 pound of ground beef, chicken, or turkey that is called for in a recipe.

Give it a try!  I’m glad I did.


TVP Taco Salad

TVP and Bean Taco Mix
Makes 4 servings

1 cup dry TVP
Spray olive oil
1 medium Yellow onion, chopped
1 Red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Chili powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
½ teaspoon Oregano
¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 can (15.5 oz) Low sodium small white or black beans, drained
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon Tomato paste
2 tablespoons Fresh cilantro, chopped
4 scallions, green and white parts, chopped
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Lime wedges for garnish

Rehydrate TVP using 7/8 cup boiling water –OR- according to package directions and set aside.

Spray a large non-stick skillet with olive oil.  Over medium heat sauté onion, pepper, and garlic until transparent.

Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper.  Mix with the vegetables to toast the spices slightly.  Add the TVP, beans, water, and tomato paste.  Simmer 3-4 minutes, turn off heat and add cilantro, scallions, then add salt and pepper.

Serve over a salad or whole-wheat tortillas with reduced fat cheese with some avocado for healthy fat.


Nutritional value for TVP Taco Mix per serving (cheese, tortillas, etc. not included):
Calories: 190, Total Fat: 0.2 g, Sat. Fat: 0, Carbs: 31.8 g, Fiber: 10.5 g, Sugars: 6.2 g, Protein: 17 g, Sodium: 129 mg*, Cholesterol: 0 mg *sodium count is before adding table salt.

Note: smoked paprika is a great addition to your pantry if you are experimenting with meatless cooking, it adds a natural smoky meat-like flavor.


Find me on Facebook: Lara McNeil on Nutrition and Food

No comments:

Post a Comment